Tankless water heaters are growing in popularity as one of the newest innovations in home plumbing. While they aren’t right for all homes, they can be a great choice for yours! You might be used to a storage tank system and that’s a good choice too, with today’s models offering better efficiency than ever before.
Whatever you decide, The Maynard Man is here to help. Our plumbers are extensively trained and ready to serve all your water heater and plumbing needs.
Reasons to Choose the Tankless Water Heater
- It saves space! Instead of taking up room in a closet, tankless units are very small. Yours can be mounted up on a wall, out of the way of anything else inside your home. This doesn’t mean that the installation is easier though! In fact, it can be quite complex, which is why you need an experienced professional, like The Maynard Man, for the job.
- It lowers your water bill. Though the initial cost is usually higher for installation than the storage tank model, the energy you save will pay back this cost. The reason for this is because tankless systems don’t have to continually heat a container of water to keep it at an appropriate temperature for use.
- It has a longer lifespan. These systems are more costly than their storage tank counterparts, we won’t deny that! But, they last longer and have higher efficiency levels since they don’t need to store water that can lose heat throughout the day. Therefore, your energy bills aren’t suffering from standby energy loss.
Are there any Drawbacks to Going Tankless?
- It works better with natural gas. Electric-powered tankless water heaters are available, though typically these systems work most efficiently when powered by natural gas. You’ll still save space and money with an electric tankless system, but we’d encourage you to also look into the heat pump water heater.
- It can be overwhelmed. These systems are often advertised as providing “unlimited” hot water, but that’s not quite right. Tankless systems provide a flow of approximately 3.5 gallons of hot water per minute. If a great demand is placed on the water heater, it can overwhelm the system and result in a drop in efficiency. Tankless water heaters are typically best in homes that don’t often have multiple taps running at the same time, like homes with small families.
To make an informed decision and to speak to an experienced pro, please don’t hesitate to reach out to The Maynard Man and team.